Monday, July 18, 2011

Baby Blue Eggshell

Two weeks ago, I nearly stepped on a baby blue eggshell, another sign that Winter's frozen butt is far, far away.  How happy are they that relish in the sun.  I left this post for fear of my love of writing, and a possible addiction to sitting in front of computers.... so, 12 days later, I'm picking up the pieces.


Well, all that to say, my last ramble left me with promises I've now failed to keep for over 2 weeks, and I wish to put an end to this sort of rabble-frabble.


Let's talk about New York.  I'll tell you why, so don't ask!  I've actually had this little fear of the Big Apple, but every time I went, growing up, it was always with my old man, who never enjoyed driving at night.  We'd maybe stay a while for a little family time to see his brother, (my uncle, aunt, and cousin), and then we'd usually proceed southward towards our nation's capital.   <<Capital vs. Capitol... see below>>


I've always been a city boy.  One of my youth group kids asked me on Sunday if I had my beach sticker yet, and my response was "I'm a city boy... I like smog!"  (I guess that's equivalent to saying "I love asthma!")  I love cars honking, taxis, people shopping and doing all that jazz, but the thing I like about NYC far better than Boston is nobody ... cares.  Sounds awful right?  Especially coming from a Christian, who's viewpoint is to have a heart for others.  Still, when I was visiting my dear friends from college, I felt I could lose myself, and just blend in with this lot of busy-walkers.  


I suppose I could do the same thing in ANY city.  Europe would be the best place to start, because there are plenty of places where speaking English is far from cool.  Displays of ignorance and the camera-flashing tourist drive people away from our French Fry smell and baseball shaped hearts.  


Why do I say all this?  New York was a breath of fresh air, Boston is home, but no matter where I am, I think I'll always have a heart for people.  Living on the North Shore of Massachusetts has actually given me my first real sense of community, and it starts with my church family (The Anglican Chapel, soon to be Hope Chapel), and then local shops and what not.  I hope the next time I'm driving around town, when people hear Boston's "More Than A Feeling," they'll think of me.  Or, perhaps, they'll throw eggs telling me to "toin it awff!"


Those eggs will not be baby blue.  Speaking of which, check out this youtube video!
Baby Blue - Emiliana Torrini



(http://www.grammarist.com/usage/capitol-capital/)



1 comment:

  1. hey, related to that blue egg (probably a robin's egg!) did you see my post recently about the robin who made her nest on my exterior kitchen window sill? i got to sneak peaks at her growing family every day, it was absolutely astounding. did you know it only takes a little more than 2 weeks for the robins to go from new hatchlings to young birds ready to leave the nest and learn to survive in the wild (or in the city in this case)?

    I thought that was amazing.

    here's the link: http://adventuresinweekdaycooking.blogspot.com/2011/06/nesting.html

    ReplyDelete